Wednesday 13 November 2013

TORONTO AT NIGHT



TORONTO AT NIGHT - Images by Michael O'Brien


Snowstorm at Night

When snowstorms envelop our city, it's a perfect time to photograph at night. This storm struck quickly and transformed the night into a mystery. I actually had just finished teaching my Night Photography workshop when the storm became dense. The class ended at 9pm and I drove one of the students home. The snow was falling so heavily that visibility was very limited. Once I dropped her off and started to head towards my end of the city I realized that unfolding before me was a thing of beauty. I’d just bought a new camera, put a Lensbaby on it and was shooting handheld at 6400 ISO.

For some reason I saw it all in B&W in the raw vision of Daido Moriyama, a photographer that influenced the way so many in my generation saw things. Although I hadn’t seen or heard of Daido for years his images still were there, stored in my subconscious waiting for this moment to come out. Daido please consider this my homage to you. Thank you for your pure vision.

After shooting until midnight I made it home. The storm was over in hours, leaving our jagged city wrapped in a soft blanket of pure white. The snow melted within days.