Friday 20 February 2015

TORONTO PHOTOGRAPHER USES BRUTAL WINTER TO MAKE AMAZING PHOTOS

During the last 2 - 3 weeks we've had some unusually cold temperatures here in Toronto. Ice build up around Lake Ontario makes for some really powerful photos if you can hack getting out in the cold. I have super warm snow boots with a pair of ice cleats that I slip on over them so I can stand and walk in all the ice. For the legs I wear long johns under snow pants with a down filled parka over top. Break away gloves and a balaclava complete the gear that manages to keep me warm enough to be able to work outside for 60-90 minutes in these temperatures. That's usually enough for me. 

I find getting out 30 - 45 minutes before sunrise allows me to be present for my favorite light. It's quiet...a hush over everything, broken occasionally when a duck would go powering by just a few feet above the water. They're incredibly fast and powerful flyers whose urgent bursts of energy only emphasize the silence and the cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment