Saturday 22 September 2012

THE IMPORTANCE OF PHOTOGRAPHING PEOPLE



                        Woman with her Child - High Andes, Ecuador

travel photograph, south america photo, latin america photo, andes culture, black and white photo, documentary photo, travel portrait, mother and child in the andes, ecuador, indigenous peoples, quilatoa ecuador
                                                                       click here to link


Every year requests come to me for speaking engagements at camera clubs and other organizations here in Toronto and although I have offered talks on several topics, the most popular by far is my presentation called, 'The Importance Of Photographing People'. 

Initially the popularity of this talk puzzled me, since most clubs usually focus on nature photography, however, after giving versions of this presentation many times it dawned on me that many view photographing people with a fearful kind of curiosity.....like partaking in some kind of forbidden fruit.

The biggest concern that I've heard people voice is that they are afraid of imposing on another person i.e. that, by photographing a person, they may make the subject feel exploited or make some other dreadful infringement on their privacy. It is the opposite of feeling entitled to photograph anyone we want...in this instance there is a sense that somehow we are committing some kind of a boundary violation when we photograph people.

I believe that although there are broad ethical, and specific legal, guidelines involved when we make images of people, each of us has to find our own approach. An approach that feels right to us.....in my experience no single approach, or formula, works in all cases. The picture above shows a women and child that I met traveling in the Andes. I spoke to her and she was obviously very willing to be photographed. She is a proud mother. The key element to the making of this picture is consent. The other is respect. Without consent we enter into the realm of 'candid' photography or straight reportage and documentary. This is a different playing field from where I usually work.