Friday 21 December 2007

Maestro Esteban Valdez, San Miguel, Mexico

Maestro Esteban Valdez, San Miguel, Mexico, travel photo san miguel mexico, black and white portrait, travel documentary photo, mexican artisan, mexican potter
The late Maestro Esteban Valdez working at his bench to create ceramic magic, San Miguel, Mexico
Maestro is a respectful form of address used in many parts of Latin America; sometimes applied to someone very skilled at their craft or trade. In this case the Maestro is a ceramic artist who is famous for his use of very old techniques. My guide,Angelica Juarez, introduced me to him and asked if i could make some pictures of him. The more I watched him work in his humble studio, the more he seemed like an old shaman working his magic. I imagined that the very archaic animal motifs he used on his pieces must have come during journeys to the spirit world. When I got the nerve to ask him where his inspiration came from he told me that some of it came from the cartoon shows he watched with his grandchildren. Lesson: assumptions are tricky little things.