Friday 20 May 2016

LATIN AMERICA IN BLACK AND WHITE - no.8 - Man with Girl near El Malecon, Havana, Cuba

As I walked around Havana with my camera I felt totally safe during the daytime - night was another story. I ran into this man with a girl on his shoulders and was curious, but didn't ask about their relationship. Even after a few weeks in Havana I'd adopted the Cuban trait of not asking questions. Now I really wish I'd asked. I don't usually talk about equipment, however, as a photographer that also teaches I'm always asked by novices, "what kind of camera did you use for this picture etc etc?" This was made with a Nikkor 28mm lens - my favourite focal length for street photography. It always helps me include exactly what I want in the frame and, over the years, has become an extension of the way I see.
For instance in this image the element of composition I'm using is dominant foreground/contributing background. Even when this lens is at 2.8 it gives me enough sharpness in the background to keep it as part of the picture whilst still allowing for a shutter-speed that's fast enough for this kind of flat lighting. This is important to me for my style and working method on the street.
The 28mm Nikkor is light and small, which means unobtrusive in the streets - again, just the way I like it.


El Malecon, Havana, Cuba
©Michael G.O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment