Sunday 29 May 2016

LATIN AMERICA IN BLACK AND WHITE - no.11 The Mercado Modelo , Salvador de Bahia, Brazil

These photos were made during a trip to Bahia, Brazil in 2001 - I'd been on a life changing visit to Brazil once before in 1976 - now 25 years later I was returning to Bahia to see if I could find someone that was very special to me. A mentor /spiritual teacher I'd met in Brazil and lost touch with in the 80's. I didn't know if they were alive or dead. More about that as these posts from Brazil unfold.

A lot happens in 25 years - for instance in 1976 the red dirt road from the airport was lined with shanty towns - now it was a 6 lane highway lined with high rises - some of them truly extraordinary buildings. However, many things remained the same so it didn't take me long to orient myself and start visiting the old haunts that I loved in Salvador; like the Mercado Modelo and it's famous wrap around elevated restaurant. The food is ok - the views are spectacular. 

Mercado Modelo, Lower City, Salvador, Brazil
©Michael G.OBrien

No comments:

Post a Comment