Wednesday 13 April 2016

AN HOMAGE TO STREET PHOTOGRAPHY - A POST SERIES BY MICHAEL O'BRIEN

The following series of posts are my homage to the art and craft of street photography. At the core I'm a self taught photographer whose roots are in street photography. This passion of mine quickly spread to include urban night photography and urban landscape. I love street photography because the subject is always shifting, the action is always unfolding and 'surprises' are seen as gifts....photographic gold. This is good stuff to build your chops with. This base skill set prepared me well for everything that I did afterwards; the portraits, weddings, stage, studio, documentary and nature work. I had no one to tell me I shouldn't do all these things, so I just kept doing it.

While my current work revolves more around themes found in the natural world, I still take my camera to the streets on a regular basis - whether it's to high impact field trips in the courses I teach at local colleges, to the workshops I lead or to the travel I do, I still draw on the skill set I formed on the streets. It keeps me sharp, flexible and open to the exciting world of discovery through the lens.


Security shutter for the El Mocambo Club
 on Spadina Ave. Toronto
©Michael O'Brien 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment