Saturday 1 February 2014

AFTER THE ICE STORM - LAKE ONTARIO - TORONTO photo and text by Michael O'Brien

Ice Crevasse, Lake Ontario shoreline after the ice storm in Toronto
photograph by Michael O'Brien

During the ice storm we had in Toronto over the holiday season, piles of ice were built up on the Lakeshore, sometimes 8-10 feet high
Although I wouldn't describe myself as a 'winter warrior', I do love the results that can be had from photographing in ice and snow, therefore sometimes i need to work in some pretty cold temperatures.
That was the case when I made this picture - it was about -35 to -45C with the wind, but I was really dressed for it so I felt comfortable. Nevertheless my eyes wouldn't stop watering because of the freezing wind, so i couldn't see anything in my viewfinder nor could I focus very well.
So I found this ice crevasse which provided protection from the wind…..I loved the look of it as well as the feel of being in it's protection as the wind roared above me....it was very primeval.
Finally I was able to see enough to set up the equipment and focus. By that time the sun was setting which provided perfect light.
Back in my office I quickly uploaded the images and started working on them. Originally I took it into Silver Efex for a black and white treatment, but something told me to try another approach using NIK software. This was the resulting image.